Since we got to see some of our work projected on the screen I was able to make some mental notes about what to do and what not to do in future projects. Let's start with the animtion footage. I was so, so excited to see how my group's would turn out because I thought we had a lot of great ideas and fun props to work with. However, once I saw the project, I realized that a lot of what we tried to do didn't show up well on screen. The lighting was very weak, causing the image to be grainy and dark. We did not have a lot of contrast in the objects we used so a lot of the images ran together once projected. Also, we lacked consistency in camera placement as the camera moved back and forth instead of staying static. This kind of hurt the fluid-like movement effect we were looking for. But not all was lost. There were a few parts that looked great! My favorite parts being the jellybean sequence where we moved them back and forth across the camera, and also the helicopter flying across the frame and then landing. I thought the movement looked continuous and not as choppy or dark as the some other parts did. Hopefully we will be able to salvage a good amount of the footage for our project. We included some shots of narrative inserts that we can include to make a story out of. Also, with slowing things down and lightening them up I'm sure we will be able to make something cool out of it all. I'm looking forward to see what we all come up with.
Now, onto the 100 frame animation project. I don't want to see negative in saying this, but I was diasppointed in the turnout of this project as well. I made the mistake of drawing my images wayyyyyyyy to big, and therefore a lot of the deatil of them was cut off when projected. I also think that when we contact printed my sprocket holes weren't lined up perfectly so the images were showing up half and half. So put both of those together, and you can see why the animation wasn't recognizable at all. It was kind of disappointing because I spent so much time with the fine detail to not have it show up : ( Oh well....now I know what to do better next time! I would pick simpler shapes and draw them a lot smaller, and then I think I would be ok!
The good thing about these projects is that I'm learning what works and what doesn't. I only wish I was getting better results!
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Kaitlin,
I wouldn't be too discouraged. First off, there are a lot of variables in both the super-8 animation and hand processing/100-frame animation assignments that are new. Most of what we're all doing, we're doing for the first time - and then it's move on to the next new thing. There's not much time to perfect things. And you're absolutely right, you'd improve on things the next time. In this class, you're just getting a taste of a lot of different techniques, so there's not a lot of time for mastery. But that's ok. After this class, you have a lot of tools in your toolbox to draw from and you can apply some of these techniques to your films with a greater idea of how they will look projected.
That said, I personally like what I saw last night. I think you all are doing some great work and I think the dimness issue can easily be fixed in Final Cut.
I also really liked those jelly beans, and the foliage was cool, too.
Post a Comment